October 17, 2010
I love the reactions of the Filipino people in the temple. Sister Pastedio is a petite, darling grandmother who has struggled with memorization. She has come faithfully for the past three months, working hard to learn initiatory. A week ago she achieved her goal. I was the proxy patron and she looked me straight in the eye, never glancing at the card. She finished the ordinance perfectly, threw her arms around me jubilantly, and exclaimed, “I did it, Sister, I did it!” She was filled with joy and could hardly contain herself. She was jumping up and down! Since I was the only patron at the time, the other two workers came to give her hugs and congratulations. I’m sure the sister whose name we completed did not mind, and probably was rejoicing on her side of the veil too.
Last Thursday we had a couple who had come to the temple with a group from Negros to receive their own endowments. When they finished they wanted to be baptized and confirmed for their dead grandparents and then do the rest of their work. The husband baptized his wife and then Larry baptized the husband. They were all getting dressed and I was mopping up water near the font when President and Sister Mortimer ushered in four other people to show them the baptistry. I looked up and was surprised to see Elder Quentin Cook, an apostle, his wife, and President and Sister Edwards of the Area Presidency. Sister Mortimer called me over and introduced them to me. Just then one of the Filipino brothers who had acted as a witness came out of the dressing room and was also able to shake hands with Elder Cook. It was not until I looked at this brother that I realized the impact of that moment. The visiting group turned and left, but the Filipino brother stood there, holding his right hand motionless; his eyes spoke joy, “I just shook the hand of an apostle of the Lord!” I had been delighted at the opportunity to meet the Cooks, but I had not had the emotional experience he had. Maybe because we have been so close to the General Authorities all our lives, I had not sensed what a truly great blessing this was. I was grateful to feel the Spirit through him.
I have just finished reading a delightful, informative and intriguing book, Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze; It is a Newbery Award book written by Elizabeth Foreman Lewis in 1932. Not only does it describe the culture of the Chinese people in the early 1900’s, but it is an exciting story of the trials and dangers Young Fu faces as he moves to the city with his widowed mother and begins life as a coppersmith apprentice. Eager to learn to read and write, he watches a “letter writer before the foreign temple” make strokes and practices them. His elderly upstairs neighbor discovers his efforts and offers to teach him to read and write in the evenings, telling him that what he has written is incorrect. “’It is better to remain ignorant than to know what is incorrect. Come with me!’ he commanded and the youth followed him up the ladder to the second floor…The furnishings of the room were of the simplest kind, poorer even than his mother’s but books were in profusion. He gazed at them reverently. ‘Sir, you are very rich!’
Wang Scholar smiled and nodded his head. ‘Poor and unworthy am I,’ he agreed, ‘but here is the wealth of the ages.’ He motioned for the boy to sit at the table, and joining him took up the brush-pen.. . ’Why dost thou wish to do books?’
The other hesitated for a moment. ‘I do not know,’ he replied. ‘Since the day I first became apprenticed to Tang, I have wanted to recognize characters and write them. In this city it is necessary to have learning in order to win fortune. He who can read and write is not easily cheated of his rights.’ He looked up to find the old gentleman’s face stern with disapproval.
‘And is there no other reason?’ Wang Scholar demanded. ‘Shall I teach the Ancient Wisdom to one who wishes to use it only for the earning of money? Knowest thou not that the treasure of knowledge is to be revered for itself alone? It has been given that men might learn how to live, not to win fortune. What is fortune without wisdom?’ ”
There is so much of worth in this book which teaches integrity and courage and goodness, and yet it is exciting reading too. I highly recommend it. I feel this book fits into the category of “Seek ye out of the best books, words of wisdom…”
Larry and Elder Ganir walked again to visit Pablo and Gina yesterday (it takes about an hour) and to invite them to Stake Conference. Larry commented that Gina was such a good mother, that the little girls’ hair was combed in a cute way. Larry told them the meetings started at 10 and gave them money for their jeepney rides, but found out last night at the Saturday evening session of conference that Sunday morning Conference started at 9. He wanted to go back to Guadalupe to tell them of the time change but it was dark and late. They have no electricity and no phone so the only way to get in touch with them is to visit them. I told him if they came at 10 that would be okay, that their four little ones would have a hard time sitting more than an hour anyway. But this morning, Larry wakened at 6 and said, “I need to go see Pablo and Gina to tell them about the time change.” So he got dressed and took a taxi to Guadalupe, having the driver wait for him while he climbed the very slippery, wet hill to their little house, and then he rode in the same taxi home in time to shower and get dressed for Conference. “They probably won’t come,” Larry said, “But at least my conscience is eased, knowing I’ve given them correct information now.” They did come! We did not see them until after the session, and I wondered if they had understood anything, because they speak so little English, but the spirit was strong. It was an excellent conference with beautiful music from the Stake Choir led by a sister who had never directed a choir before! I was glad I had slipped four individual packages of graham crackers into my purse that I was able to give to the four children. WE have talked to the young mission assistants as to which elders would be in Pablo and Gina’s area. Hopefully we can get the elders to visit them soon. Larry is inspired in his thoughts and follows through with action!
When we got home last night we found a sign taped to our one “purified water” faucet saying “Maintenance in progress. Do not drink or use this faucet”. First of all, the sink was filled with the dirty dishes from mixing and baking bread in the morning and from lunch! WE had eaten just before we left for our afternoon shift at the temple. Of course, someone would come into our apartment when I have left such a mess! Every other day I have the kitchen spotless!!! Almost! But then, what were we to do without drinking water and water to brush our teeth? I wish they would let us know ahead of time so we could fill bottles! Luckily, we did have a two gallon bottle of water… but it is almost gone and who knows when we will be able to use the water again. Oh well, tomorrow is Monday and we can go to the store and buy bottled water…This is a good lesson on being prepared.
No comments:
Post a Comment