August 14, 2011
Happy Birthday, Camille. And while we’re at it—Happy Birthday, Maryanne, Laurisa, Whitney and Peter! And Happy Anniversary, Laurisa and Eldon and Elizabeth and Jeff! August is loaded with special days!
After Larry had his wallet stolen while riding a jeepney two weeks ago, President Mortimer told him that he should not ride jeepneys anymore. That was harder on him than losing the money in his wallet. He loved the interaction with the local people and the places he was able to go throughout the city with very little expense. He and Elder Ganir were the only two that rode the jeepneys (sometimes I did too). Losing his wallet and credit card has put some brakes on our spending; without a credit card we could not get money from the ATM to pay for rent, for taxis, for food, for gifts, for incidental expenses, so we have been pretty much homebound. The Lord works in mysterious ways, however, to make sure we are taken care of. We have been invited out for dinner four times this week: three times by other missionary couples and once by the new counselor in the temple presidency. Brother Gomez Siady invited us to go with his family and eight others to the Mikado, a wonderful Japanese restaurant, to celebrate his birthday last night. He has Chinese ancestry and so to follow Chinese custom,their two sons wore red shirts as a sign of respect and honor for their father. Ashers invited us for dinner Wednesday, Ganirs Friday and Bringhursts today! And Larry remembered that he had put some extra cash in our 72 hour emergency kit with food and medical supplies. That came in very handy for an emergency! Besides we had enough food to last for quite a while in our apartment. I used the last of our flour Saturday, so we are grateful that our new cards came and that by Tuesday we will be able to use them.
Even more importantly, we have had sufficient cash for some who really needed help. Larry had walked the long distance to and from Guadalupe to check on Pablo and Gina since we had not had contact with them for over a month. Gi-an was sick with a fever and Larry found that Pablo had been laid off work on the grounds crew at the temple when they had a major cutback after the temple break. Two days later, Pablo came to the temple searching for Larry who was just on his way to the veil when someone from the recommend desk called up and said he was needed. Pablo was there and told Larry that Gi-an had been taken to the hospital with Dengue fever (transmitted by mosquitoes carrying the virus and a killer if left too long without the proper medication) and that she needed medicine immediately but they had no money. Please could we help? She had been taken to a government hospital and the doctors there would not treat her unless the right medicine could be paid for. Larry got dressed and came back to the apartment where we had enough cash to buy the medicine. After Larry redressed and finished his shift, he went with Bishop Gimina and Elder Ganir to the hospital where Elder Ganir waited in the van on the street because there was no parking while the Bishop and Larry went in to give Gi-an a priesthood blessing. Larry said she did not look good and was very worried about her. We had already put her name on the temple prayer roll. After Church today, Ganirs went with us to the hospital to visit Gi-an. As we entered the hospital I shuddered. The building was so old and decrepit; there were holes in the floor and the walls. We walked up three flights of stairs and saw a sign “CHARITY WARD” with row upon row of beds in one huge room that was broken up into three smaller spaces. I figured there were at least 60 beds in the part Gi-an was in. As we walked into Gi-an’s section she saw Larry and got so excited. Pablo was asleep on her bed and she pounded on her father’s arm to waken him. He also lighted up and got up to get Gina who was in another area. Gi-an was dressed and her hair neatly French braided. Gina told us they were taking Gi-an home in a few hours, but they would have to return to the hospital for check-ups during the week. We had taken food, some insect repellant and a little plastic scripture case filled with crayons, paper and a storybook—things I had on hand—and Gi-an was delighted; she put a pink comb, a little bottle of lotion and tissues in the bag with the other things. I looked around at the beds in the room. They had heavy plastic ripped coverings on the mattresses—no sheets, no pillows. The children were wearing their regular clothing. There were not even curtains dividing the beds. I wanted to cry. Families have to bring whatever food the patients get; none is provided. The relief society president from Capitol Ward, Sister Samson, who is a nurse and university instructor for student nurses who train at the hospital came in right then bringing food for Gina and Pablo. She told us that sometimes there are three children to a bed! We could not help all these children, but we were able to help one. I wondered how many children die because they cannot afford medicine and so the doctors will not admit them to the hospital, such as it is. If the nurses are like Sister Samson, at least the children get loving, tender care even if the facitilies are so terrible. I received a distinct impression that if Christ were to come to the earth right now, this is where he would be, among the sick, poor children, healing and holding them in his arms. .
Jodi Ganir had not seen Gina and Pablo for several months and commented that she saw such a change in their countenances. Hopefully the Gospel is becoming a very real part of their lives. At least, they know they are loved and cared for.
Bhambie Devantes, one of the temple office staff, and Dennis Quitoy, an ordinance worker, were married a week ago in the temple and had a huge dinner reception at a local hotel. She is in her mid-thirties and he in his late twenties. They worked so hard to make everything perfect—the unique and lovely invitations that they personally made, sewing her own beautiful wedding dress and that of her mother-in-law and her own mother (which she chose not to wear). We had to give them a note explaining that we would give our gift later. Their wedding invitation had silver butterflies on it and I asked Dennis in the temple the day before they were married if he was nervous, if he had butterflies. He replied,”I’ve had butterflies ever since I first saw Bhambie!” I thought, “What a cute response.”
Saturday night we had a group from Naga and Arlington Wards come to do baptisms for the dead. Many of them had been here before and were delighted that we were serving in the baptistery. One of the young adult women said to me, “I love your stories and your scriptures, especially the scripture on light in the D & C 50: 24 that you told us last time.” And she recounted the story of Larry teaching the missionary lessons to Penny, a young flight attendant, who became interested in the Gospel because she saw the light emanating from a man on one of her flights; when she knelt down to ask who he was, and found that his name was David B. Haight and that he was an apostle, she wanted to learn more. She was baptized and later married in the temple. I was amazed this Filipino sister would remember—especially the scriptural reference. I talk to the youthin the baptistery chapel while we are waiting for some to be baptized or confirmed, and I often feel the spirit strongly when I am doing so, but I didn’t realize that I might actually be affecting the ones who listen.
I was particularly drawn to one man who came in to be baptized. He was not endowed, but was definitely older. I discovered that he was a convert of just over one month, that he had just received the Aaronic Priesthood, was 49 years old, married with 4 adult children, was a farmer and a barber but had been living away from home with some friends when the missionaries found him and taught him. When he was baptized, his friends kicked him out and one of the Naga Ward members took him in. I do not know much about his situation, but he bore such a sweet, strong testimony that he knew this was the true Church even though his family were all strong Catholics and were upset with his baptism. He literally glowed and was thrilled to be in the temple doing baptisms for the dead. A good part of the reason the spirit in the temple is so strong is because of the spirit that the members bring into the temple.
Earlier this week I received an email from Hiram Alba, a missionary here 30 years ago who we met at the temple dedication over a year ago. He and his family and some neighbors were interested in providing funds for families who could not afford to come to the temple and asked how they should go about such. I talked to President Mortimer and he said I needed to get the email address of a stake president in the Iloilo area where Brother Alba had spent much of his mission and work through him. I sent the information back to Brother Alba but also forwarded the original letter to President Torres. This is the letter President Torres sent back to me. I cried when I read it.
“Bro. Alba/Sis. Mary, when I received this email of yours, I felt the experience and excitement of the shepherds in Bethlehem when they heard the declarations of the angel of God, the “glad tidings of great joy”. Yes, we have a lot of families who are qualified but because of financial constraint did not push through their plan to go to the temple. Last December we have at least 60 individuals and families who received their endowments. It took a contribution from members and other resources to assist them for their fare, food and lodging.
This will be a great blessings to them that somebody is kind enough to assist them. We will have our Stake Temple Trip this coming December 27-30.
May we hear from you. Again, maraming salamat.
The Joyful Servant,
Pastor B. Torres, President, Iloilo Philippines Stake of Zion
(What an appropriate first name!)
I am sorry we will not be here at the temple when this group comes.
There is never enough time or space to write about all that has happened, all that has touched my heart. Our time is growing short with these beautiful people, with our experiences in the House of the Lord, with the torrential rain one minute and full sun shine the next, with the lush green beauty that surrounds us on the temple complex. We are grateful that we will have eternity to enjoy the friends we have made here. We are grateful for the love and support of family and friends at home and are excited to see all of you again. . . We pray for the Lord’s blessings to be on you all.
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment