Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Daddy's contribution to the Temple History I
In October a group came from Negros to do temple work: baptisms for the dead, initiatory, endowments and sealings for the living and the deceased. Mary and I grew very close to the youth as we met with them to do baptisms for the dead; we were touched by the Spirit and felt the reassurance of our Savior’s love for us all and the work we were doing. Because of our love for this group I watched closely from my upstairs window as they loaded their old, rickety bus to return home. All of the luggage was put on top of the bus because there was no room inside; some people had suitcases, some had cardboard boxes tied with strings, and some only big plastic bags. I went down to the parking lot to say goodbye and I saw that they had packed the bus with as many people as it could possible hold; all the seats were full with little chairs put in the row between the seats—thirty one people in a bus built for twenty. They had to ride eighteen hours to get to their home in this crowded condition, with a large portion of their travel on bumpy mountainous, dirt roads, and they had only one big pot of rice to eat on the way. When they got all ready to leave, the bus would not start and some mechanic work had to be done to get the bus going. In spite of all this, and much personal sacrifice, this group was so happy and thankful to have been able to come to the temple. (Elder Ward)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment