Friday, August 20, 2010

Youth from Negros Occidental

July 29, 2010

“It’s raining! It’s POURING” takes on a whole new dimension in the Philippines. What starts out as a drizzle can become torrential rain in minutes. It is best to carry an umbrella with you at all times. (If it’s shining, the umbrella becomes a sunshade). We have seen the parking lot between the Patron House and the Stake Center become a six inch deep river in a few minutes. I have never been caught in the rain between our apartment and the temple but there are those who have, and they get soaked. The nice thing about the rain here is that it is warm rain, and even though you get wet it is not uncomfortable.

The past three days a group of 36 youth from the neighboring island of Negros Occidental has been staying in the Patron House doing baptisms twice a day. They arrived on Monday afternoon after an all day trip on a ferry. What a delightful, faith-filled group . As the young people wait for their turn to be confirmed and baptized I often have an opportunity to talk with them. Yesterday I read from D & C 128 about baptism for the dead and bore my testimony to them. One fifteen year old boy was especially attentive. Today he sat by the front door of the temple; Larry was at the recommend desk and Jade (the boy) asked if I was there. I happened to be close by at the reception table and came to talk to the boy. He said he wanted to thank me for yesterday in the baptismal chapel. He touched his heart and said, “I felt so much spirit here.” He asked if he could hug me. My patriarchal blessing said that my testimony would help strengthen the testimonies of the youth of the Church; I am feeling the impact of that promise here. Several times I have felt the Spirit so strongly as I’ve shared the feelings of my heart with the boys and girls who have come to do baptisms. Tonight, we went downstairs to take pictures of the youth from the Binalbagan Stake since they are leaving tomorrow and won’t be back until next April. Jade handed me a letter with his picture. He also gave me his text address and asked me to text him. (He was amazed when I told him I didn’t know how!) The note read: “Dearest Sis and E. Ward, First of all I would like to say thank you very much because you’re the best temple workers for me even we met for 2 days only but I really appreciate your goodness to me and I love you Sister Ward. Hope you love me too because you’re my mother when I enter the house of the Lord. And you’re so cute J and so chubby mother. God bless and taker always. I will not forget you and I will remember you always. From Jade Palzario 09081645593 His address is Brgy 6 Coloso Street Kabankalon City Neg Occ.. Philippines I cried and laughed as I read his letter. It’s moments like that which are double pay-backs. Another boy hung behind the group as they left this afternoon and said, “Sister Ward, I love you. I have been collecting these and I want you to have it.” And he handed me a small piece of puzzle with Star Wars-like characters on it; he had gotten it from buying Tang—probably you win a prize if you can collect all the pieces. These kids are so open with their expressions of love and appreciation. Somehow knowing how little these kids have in the way of material possessions made that little puzzle piece worth a million dollars to me. Another double pay-back.

Can you tell we love these people? I think of the scripture “We love Him because He first loved us”. I know we have been loved greatly here, and we love in return. We love all of you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment