Sunday, July 11, 2010

The real Philippines

Gina and Pablo take great pride in their new home and garden area. They have built a fence, walkway and planted flowers to beautify their area. Vegetables are planted in a little area behind their house.

Elder and Sister Peck from ST. George with Pablo and Gina's family
The mountainside just opposite Pablo and Gina's house. Even though these homes are close together and not much more than shacks, the living conditions are so much better than in the cities. The people have a little land on which they can grow vegetables and so they eat better; the air is cleaner and there is lush vegetation surrounding them.

More beautiful evening gowns created with fabric and pins! The material is not cut, it is draped and pinned on the forms. I have never seen such gorgeous material as here in the Philippines.
, The apartments we live in were furnished with dishes, utensils, appliances and cookware but there are no "big" bowls and pans. When I tried to make a small batch of bread, I had flour going everywhere so we went shopping for a large bowl. The sales girls in the store tried so hard to find a large bowl for me but they had none except a very large stainless steel bowl that was very expensive. We told them we wanted a plastic bowl, something not so expensive. We turned to leave and just then, one of the girls came running up with this large plastic "tub" that they use to wash in. I was delighted and they were delighted--especially when I told them we wanted to take their picture; all the girls grabbed a "tub" to be in the picture! WE bought the blue one.


No comments:

Post a Comment