Sunday, October 16, 2011

The last few days of our mission

October 16, 2011
Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven. . . Does waking up at 4 am constitute sacrifice? I think so, but today was well worth the loss of sleep. We awakened early to leave for Danao to attend Sacrament meeting which started at 7:30 am. Elder Ganir drove us and Sister Ganir in the missionary van. After a long drive we arrived at the chapel a few minutes late. We sat down in the congregation and listened as the counselor announced the program. During the sacrament he left the stand and came down to talk to Larry, asking if we would bear our testimonies since we would be leaving very soon. We both expressed our love for the members and the temple. It was an emotional experience. After the closing prayer, the Bishop announced that the whole ward should meet outside the chapel to have pictures taken with us! Instead of attending the rest of the block meeting, Larry and I chose to attend the Danao Branch which met in the chapel at 9 am. We were asked to speak rather than just bearing our testimonies—I was sure I had taken only 7 minutes, but Larry informed me afterwards that I had taken almost 15! He made his message considerably shorter than he had planned. Ganirs attended Sunday School and Priesthood (Elder Ganir ended up teaching the lesson) and Relief Society in Danao 1st. After the block was finished, the youth in Danao 1st Ward sang ”How Great Thou Art” for us; one of them remembered that I had told them that was Larry’s favorite hymn when they had come to the temple for baptisms for the dead. Danao 1st Ward has wonderful singers. They are one of the few wards here that sing harmony with their hymns. We visited with members for half an hour before going home. They are a great ward with such warmth. Both groups truly made us feel like honored guests.
Larry had an interesting experience in the grocery store on Friday. A grocery worker approached him, looking at Larry’s name tag and asked, “Are you a Christian?” “Yes,” Larry replied, “ I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints”. “I want to become a Christian,” the young man told him. Larry asked if he had a paper and pencil so he could get his name but he did not. “My wife is right over there and I’m sure she has some writing materials in her purse.” On their way to find me they met Elder Ganir who talked to him and took his name and address. Who knows what will come of a chance? meeting in a grocery store.
We are trying to use all the food we have in our cupboards. Friday night after attending a memorial service for Glen Gonzaga, a young past bishop, who was killed in a freak accident in Australia when a tree fell on his car, we got back to our apartment late and Ganirs invited us to have a hot dog with them. I hurried and put together a layered bean dip, using our last can of olives, our last can of refried beans, our last sour cream and our last tortilla chips. Then Saturday night after the temple, Ganirs invited us to a “farewell” chicken enchilada dinner they fixed for us; it was delicious, but I ate way too much for eating so late (that could well be the reason I wakened so early this morning). But we didn’t use any of our food . . Today we invited Cummings for lunch and fixed sweet and sour meatballs using crushed pineapple rather than chunks or tidbits since that’s all we had and the last of our rice and canned corn. Next Sunday Bringhursts have invited us for dinner and Monday we have our last missionary FHE group pot luck dinner so we won’t use any food then. . .We may donate a lot to people. We keep running out of things when we try to use up other things like when I baked my "last" batch of bread this morning to use up our last whole wheat flour, but ran out of white flour so had to buy another bag--but no worry--the bags we buy here are about 4=5 cups! It will get used this week.
Lorina Bundac, our “adopted missionary daughter” who was released six months ago, flew from Palawan to visit us, go to the temple, and spend some time with a young man she has been talking to and texting on her cell phone. She brought Ian and another friend Stephanie who lives in Bogo (and had been a close friend when Sister Bundac served in that area) for chicken broccoli casserole dinner Wednesday night. Lorina stayed in the Patron House; the others did not, so we invited Lorina for breakfast. The other two joined us for spaghetti and bread sticks (that I helped Lorina make) for lunch before we left for our shift at the temple. Friday, Lorina had breakfast with us again, then she and I went on an endowment session while Larry went to see Gina and Pablo. It was difficult to say goodbye to her, knowing we might never see her again. She is so lovely and so strong. She introduced me to the missionary who had baptized her, and his wife as they came to the temple. She is now the oldest of ten children. Her mother had a baby C-section just after Lorina got home from her mission. She feels responsible to help her family financially and doesn’t know that she can get married yet because of pressing family financial obligations. (Ian wanted her to marry him in December and told her she needs to think about her eternal family even before her parents’ family). We will be anxious to see what happens.
So much to do this next week! I have been trying to write a short personal note to all the sisters I have worked with in the temple. There are about 100. We had pictures printed to give to them along with a printed letter and poem I had written. We received our passports yesterday (the Manila Area office keeps them until just before missionaries go home). We want to put together Christmas packages for our two remaining missionaries since we won’t be here for Christmas. We bought beautiful throws for each of them and Sister Bundac, along with tins of Danish butter cookies and Snickers bars. The cookbook I compiled has had problems—the format changed when I emailed it to the Puas for printing! I have been ready to tear my hair out over that “simple” project! WE can only bring one suitcase and a carry-on so most of our other things we have mailed in boxes—a very expensive venture. We are torn in our emotions about leaving—excited and happy to see and be with all of you, but sad to leave these beautiful people knowing that we will likely never see them again. Elder Holland is coming this Thursday to talk to the missionaries, but we will not be able to attend the Fireside since we work the Thursday afternoon/evening shift at the temple. I'm sure the others will take good notes, and we will feel the spirit of the presence of an apostle of the Lord even while we are in the temple.
We really are excited to see all of you in just 10 more days. We love you and pray for you always.
We do love you all so very much. Happy Birthday, Emily and Elizabeth!
Love, Mom and Dad/ Grandma and Grandpa/ Larry and Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment