June 25, 2011
We just received this letter from our newest “adopted” sister missionary, Sister Divina Sabio. It illustrates the sacrifice so many of these converts make to join the Church. Sister Sabio is 23 years old and is from Olongapo City, Zambales. I met her at the temple this past week with her companion, Sister Hershey. Sister Hershey’s uncle is in the stake presidency in Whitney and Connie’s stake and is in their ward. Sister Sabio is tall for a Filipino—5’ 8 inches, and very thin, but very lovely. They are serving in Carmen about 2 hours north of Cebu City; we hope to visit their church meetings sometime next month.
“June 17, 2011
Sister Ward and Elder Ward,
I grew up as a devote(d) Catholic with my family. I have many cousins who are priests and nuns and my grandparents have very high callings in the Catholic Church. I’m the youngest of five children, with 2 older brother(s) and 2 older sister(s), and 1 nephew.
Because I was such a devote(d) Catholic, I was taught by the missionaries for 5 years. They were very persistent, and excited to teach. I however would sometimes hide or say that I was busy. At some point I started to really listen, and started to wonder if their message really was important for me.
I’m very grateful that they did not give up on me. And this time came that after a power experience with pray, I knew that what they had said was true. I asked my parents for permission to be baptize(d), and my whole family was mad, I would not be part of the family if I joined the Mormons. They asked me to just forget everything the Elders taught me. But I could not deny the spirit I felt. On April 14, 2007, the same day I was suppose to enter the convent to become a nun, I entered the waters of baptism to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
As a member of the Church, my understanding of the plan of our Heavenly Father grew. I was also given callings that helped strengthen me as a member. I was called as the Valiant 8 primary teacher and later as District Family History Consultant and branch missionary. As my understanding grew, I desired and set as my goal to serve the Lord as a full time missionary.
I did all that I could, even though many challenges awaited me. My family wont not allow me to live at home anymore. I stopped my schooling so I could work and save money for my mission. With help from the Lord I received my call on Dec. 26, 2010 to serve in the Philippines Cebu Mission.
3 weeks before I enterd the MTC my older brother was killed and one week later my older sister also died. It was hard to leave home but I decided to continue on strong and serve. While I was yet at the MTC I received news that my mother was in the hospital with cancer. I thought of leaving and going home but after rereading my mission call and praying to Heavenly Father for courage and strength, I continued on. I will never forget the day I receved my Endowments. I gained great strength in understanding more of Heavenly Fathers plan for me. Once out in the field my trials continued also. The language was a struggle (her native language is not Cebuano; it is Tagalog) and I was bit by a dog. My first month was full of tears and prayers. Until now my family still wants me to come home, and each week they ask me to stop preaching. However I wont stop. I know the Church is true. I have great hope that someday they will open their hearts to the gospel. For now I will help other families to learn of Heavenly Fathers love for them as his wonderful plan of Happiness. Sorry sister and Elder Ward for my English, I hope you understand, it’s hard for me to write English and sorry for my hand writing. Thank you for your letter to me.
Sister Sabio
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment